MicroVax II diagnostic tape?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 23:53:42 CDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Rick Murphy <rick at rickmurphy.net> wrote:
> XT2190s (RD54s) aren't cheap, they're noisy as hell, and
> aren't very big.

How "not cheap" are they these days?  They are large enough for VMS
6.0 - I've done it.  OTOH, there wasn't any room left for anything
else, and I did have to trim off a few things to make it all fit, but
it does come up and boot on my rather-stock uVAX-II.

By even semi-modern standards, though, I'd agree with you that 154MB
just isn't that much room for later versions of VMS or Ultrix, but VMS
5.x and on down fit just fine, if that's what you want to run.

> As several people have pointed out, you're far better off with non-DEC
> storage controllers and devices.

Agreed.  I managed to locate a Qbus SCSI controller a while back, but
I've had other DEC machines in the queue head of any MicroVAX work, so
I haven't been able to put a system together yet.

-ethan