MicroVax II diagnostic tape?

Rick Murphy rick at rickmurphy.net
Sun Aug 12 10:02:19 CDT 2007

At 12:53 AM 8/12/2007, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>On 8/6/07, Rick Murphy <rick at rickmurphy.net> wrote:
> > XT2190s (RD54s) aren't cheap, they're noisy as hell, and
> > aren't very big.
>
>How "not cheap" are they these days?  They are large enough for VMS
>6.0 - I've done it.  OTOH, there wasn't any room left for anything
>else, and I did have to trim off a few things to make it all fit, but
>it does come up and boot on my rather-stock uVAX-II.

They fetch $300 or more per drive on eBay.

>By even semi-modern standards, though, I'd agree with you that 154MB
>just isn't that much room for later versions of VMS or Ultrix, but VMS
>5.x and on down fit just fine, if that's what you want to run.

Yup. When I had a uVAX here I used three RD54s with VMS 5.4 on the
first drive. As long as you're careful it works OK. Putting the swap
onto another drive helps remove some of the space crunch. One advantage
of these drives is that they're pretty reliable, unlike RD53s.

> > As several people have pointed out, you're far better off with non-DEC
> > storage controllers and devices.
>
>Agreed.  I managed to locate a Qbus SCSI controller a while back, but
>I've had other DEC machines in the queue head of any MicroVAX work, so
>I haven't been able to put a system together yet.

I tried for a SCSI controller for a long time but wasn't willing to pay
the price. I eventually gave away the VAXen and just moved to SIMH.
         -Rick