Suggestions for rackmount floppy mounting

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Wed Aug 15 06:59:25 CDT 2007

>Subject: Re: Suggestions for rackmount floppy mounting
>   From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
>   Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:59:35 -0700
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>On 14 Aug 2007 at 11:11, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
>
>> Well, if you want the cheap-and-dirty way to do it (my
>> favorite way!) you could use a piece of 1/4" plywood
>> as a faceplate, cut square holes in it the size of a
>> full height 5 1/4" drive, and scavenge some drive
>> frames from junked PC mid-tower cabinets. Screw the
>> drive frames to the back of the plywood, and paint the
>> plywood to match the cabinet. The weight of the floppy
>> drives shouldn't be enough so that it needs any more
>> support than a few rack screws drilled through the
>> edges of the plywood.
>
>Reminds me of the old-time custom of making rack panels out of 1/4"
>masonite.  I was thinking about 1/4" polycarbonate and a router (the
>machine tool, not the network gear).  I could make the side rails
>from the same, just solvent-cemented to the front.
>
>I'm not sure how, using the tools I have to carve big holes in a
>thick aluminum blank panel plate.  Would a 3 HP router and a carbide
>bit do it?  Ideally, I suppose a vertical mill would be the "right"
>tool, but I don't have access to one.

Hand held saber saw (aka jigsaw) with metal blade does fine.

I made the disk shelf for my PDP11 (RX33, RD52s, uVAX2000 powersupply,
enable/writelocks buttons from BA123).  Front plate was a blank and the
shelf was another sheet of .100 Aluminum plus some supports salvaged from
various older defunct machines.

Allison