Odd QIC-like tape

Stan Sieler sieler at allegro.com
Fri Aug 17 20:18:17 CDT 2007

Re:
> Yesterday I obtained a car-load of HP150-related stuff. And amongst it
> was a pair of HP tape drive,s the 9144 and 9145, which use special HP
> pre-formatted tapes.
> looking at theAustralian museum (http://www.hpmuseum.net/), I found a
> link to a site that impliex these tapes were standard 3M products of the
> time ,the format was not custom HP, etc.

IIRC, the HP cartridge tapes were definitely pre-formatted ... something
allegedly done only at the factory.  If you wrote on one with a non-HP drive,
it would then be useless in an HP drive.  (IIRC, however, there might have been
a way to re-low-level format them on an HP 9144 or HP 9145 drive, but it
required an offline utility program and a lot of time.)

Stan
--
Stan Sieler
sieler at allegro.com