Odd QIC-like tape

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sun Aug 19 22:24:11 CDT 2007

On Friday 17 August 2007 20:27, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2007 at 22:58, Tony Duell wrote:
> > The OP might want to look at that site and follow the links for
> > 'storage', 'magnetic tape' and 'HP9144' (or 'HP9145'). I think that will
> > turn up a like or twon that will be helpful
>
> Thanks, Tony.  Mystery solved.  The drive in question probably takes
> DC600HC or DC600XTD "Iotamat" preformatted tapes.  That would explain
> the 3M-labeled EPROM on the tape MPU board (uses an MC6800).  Well,
> the drive will go back onto the shelf; I don't even know what the 50-
> conductor interface is supposed to connect to, though I suspect it
> may be a cousin of a QIC-36 type.

I'm a bit confused by all those QIC designations,  since they sometimes seem
to refer to completely different things...

Got one drive here that has a 50-pin connector,  and it came along with an
8-bit ISA card -- some sort of a proprietary interface,  and I have no idea
about the spec.  I installed it in a box way back when I was first starting
to get going with linux (1999 or 2000?),  got it working to the point where I
could get tar to write some data to a tape,  and that was the extent of it.
I still have it somewhere...

I also ran into another drive,  an Archive (something)L-50 if I'm remembering
right,  that was in an NCR tower that left my posession some time ago -- that
one was SCSI,  and also used a 50-pin connector.  Any chance the one you have
is SCSI?

-
M Dakin