Broken floppy disks

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 07:06:58 CDT 2007

Ade Vickers wrote:
> I must admit, I don't have a 3.5" head cleaner

I've found anything with alcohol in it will work in an emergency - not as good
as using 'proper' IPA, but good enough to temporarily see if a fault is just
down to dirty heads.

> I was expecting the heads to be a bit mucky

With 5.25" drives I've not yet had one throw errors without the dirt actually
being visible on the heads; I'm not sure if the same is true of 3.5" heads
though (I have very few 3.5" disks).

> Having said about the 5.25" disks - I've realised that not all is quite
> sweetness & light.... I have lots of DSDD *drives* here, with various
> machines, but almost no DSDD *disks* - most of the disks are DSHD.... and
> they generally simply will not format on a DD drive....

I could never find a 96tpi disk when I needed one :(  I quick plea on the
local freecycle list turned up around 100 though, which should keep me going
for a while (used, so I expect there are some duds in there)

cheers

Jules