Logic trainer finds

Vincent Slyngstad vrs at msn.com
Mon Aug 20 11:09:08 CDT 2007

From: "Ethan Dicks"
> On 8/20/07, William Donzelli wrote:
>> A double-header hamfest weekend yielded a couple of vintage digital
>> logic trainer items. The first is one of those little wood boxes DEC
>> Logic labs, but who cares about that.
>
> _I_ care about it... I had the manual for one when I was about 12.  I
> learned digital logic on paper from it.  I always wanted one, but the
> books were much easier to find than boxes.
>
> Every once in a while, I entertain making one of my own, but haven't
> ever come up with an inexpensive and robust plug/connector scheme.

I have one of these, and the wires with the plugs are a problem.  Mine
came to me with only a few of these left, and I haven't been able to
replace them.  For those who've never seen one (but care), there are
eyelets/rivets which are sized appropriately for a mini-banana plug,
set into the lab box to form the connection points.  Then, a kit of
various lengths of wire is provided.  The wires end on both ends with
something similar to the male pins from a large AMP connector or the
like.  The thing is, they have an unusual tapered shape, rather than
a simple cylinder, which allows them to wedge into the eyelets nicely.
The pins appear to be brass, and the eyelets look like they might be gold
plated(?).

I (and probably others who own one) would love to get some more of the
wires, or at least a source for the tapered pins to make new wires.

If the tapered pins were available, I suspect brass eyelets could be
used for an inexpensive (and almost authentic) plug/connector scheme.
(Mini-banana plug hardware seems to be the antithesis of inexpensive!)

    Vince