Tektronix 4002 Terminal found

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Wed Aug 22 07:15:47 CDT 2007

Hello Listers,

last week I acquired what seems to be a Tektronix 4002 terminal - at least that's what a sticker on the rear of the base says. The front bezel with the type designation was nowhere to be found - apart from that, the unit looks just like the one at

http://www.science.uva.nl/museum/tek4002a.html

The "screen" part was missing, but we located a display unit (obviously self-contained - this matches the description above) nearby which has aluminum mounting rails to fit the screw holes in the base of the terminal. It has a power inlet and a DB-25 connector carrying what I suppose to be "raw" deflection/control signals - this would match the connectors available at the back of the terminal base, apart from the fact that the power connector coming from the base is an IEC coupler and the inlet on the back of the display isn't (has a round PE pin - the P and N blades fit the IEC coupler).

So far I have a few questions about this thing:
-Is the display we found really the one that goes with the base?
-What kind of cable do I need to connect the two?  (http://www.science.uva.nl/museum/rampspoed.html shows how it looks, but what are the actual connections - 1:1 or something different? Perhaps even some coax or twisted pairs?)
-Some of the slots in the backplane of the base unit are unpopulated. Is this normal?
-and last but not least, are there any special pitfalls I should be on the lookout for when I finally go about powering the thing on? Will it probably need capacitor reforming beforehand?

Thanks in advance, yours sincerely
--
Arno Kletzander
Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen