SCSI/IDE laptop adapters

Steve Witham sw at tiac.net
Mon Aug 27 13:50:52 CDT 2007

Hi, this message is a kludge to get through to der Mouse, but you-all
may find it interesting.  I have two of those Century CHB25INT
adapters (but I'm not willing to sell one right now).  See:
    http://www.tiac.net/~sw/2006/03/scsi_to_ata/index.html

I paid about $100 for a single unit direct from Century.co.jp .

Mouse, you sent me email about my SCSI/IDE adapter experience.
My reply below is proceeded by the kind of bounce I got trying to
send it:

>From: Mail Delivery System <Mailer-Daemon at elasmtp-masked.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
>    mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA
>      SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
>      host Sparkle-4.rodents.montreal.qc.ca [216.46.5.7]:
>      550-I won't talk to 209.86.89.68 until 2007-08-25 17:05:48 UTC, because
>      550 it keeps connecting and then not sending anything.

>http://www.tiac.net/~sw/2006/03/scsi_to_ata/index.html gives your
>address.  I was looking for just such a thing, but for a SPARCstation
>Voyager rather than an Apple laptop; this page looks very helpful.
>Thank you.

I haven't had perfect results with the adapter I talked about in that page.
I was able to boot, copy 250MB files, etc., but invariably the
computer would hang after a while (in a way it doesn't do without that
disk installed).

It could be
     The ATA disk
     The adapter design
     The particular adapter
     The driver I have installed, or its timing parameters
     Apple's SCSI implementation (has been buggy on me before)
     External SCSI Zip and/or CD drives I had plugged in at the same time.
     Mac OS 8.1 problem with big HFS+ partition?
     Some unrelated problem with this OS on this laptop??  The hang-up
        does seem to happen when using the disk, but then, that's all
        I was doing!

Probably with more time or expertise I could narrow it down since I
have two disks, two adapters, and multiple sources of drivers.

Thanks for the SCSI details.  No, I'm not sure about 66-pin SCSI.

   --Steve