eprom "dumping"

Wed Aug 29 02:44:08 CDT 2007

> as most of us know, the IBM PC and PC/AT (I think) have extra rom
> sockets.  If you want to obtain a dump of an eprom, could you simply
> plug them into these spare sockets and use Debug or whatever to
> capture an image?  Seems straitforward enough, but I figured it
> wouldn't hurt to ask...

Perhaps - if you have such a machine.  (I don't.)

I cobbled together a breadboard of TTL (mostly latches/counters and
muxes) which, with suitable software support on the host, lets me read
ROMs via a parallel port.  It's not especially fast, but it's a good
deal faster than a serial line....I really need to transfer it from a
breadboard to something a bit more permanent.  If there's interest I
can draw up a schematic and parts list....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca