How easy is it to damage an IBM CGA display?

J Blaser oldcpu2 at rogerwilco.org
Sat Dec 1 15:55:13 CST 2007

Quoting "Michael B. Brutman" <mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com>:

> Jim Leonard wrote:
> > Michael B. Brutman wrote:
> >>
> >> NCSA Telnet *was* running on before I put the CGA card in.  (I had a
> >> Cirrus Logic VGA card in it yesterday.)  Now NCSA Telnet is hanging
> >> on startup after reading it's config file.
> > Check the config file; there is a video mode line IIRC.
>
> Been there ..
>
> Other people have reported weirdness with NCSA Telnet on an XT before.
> If I put the VGA card back in and it works, I'll have it narrowed
> down.

For what it's worth.  I've lately been successfully running NCSA Telnet on a
'XT-ized' Tandy 1000A.  It's got 640KB and 20MB MFM.  Also, the T1000 has that
weird blend of CGA and 16-color CGA that was in the PCjr (don't remember what
it's acronym is, right now), but I have no problems running the NCSA Telnet
package.  My config is set for 'CGA'.

- Jared