HP 9000/216

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 16:15:46 CST 2007

> If these are the 680x0 based workstations, the UofU did a port of BSD
> to them.

Definitely 68000-based. The 9817 (shoebox cabinet, seperate monitor) was
a 68010, and had MMU circuitry on the mainboard (it looks like a 68012
could go in there too). All the other machines were plain 68000s

The 9816 had no MMU circutiry at all. I believe there was an HP-UX
version for these machines _with MMU_ (the 9826 and 9836 could be fitted
with several diffent CPU boards one of which had an MMU), but that it
won't run o nthe 9816. From looking at schematics, etc, it appears a 9817
CPU board could be jury-rigged into a 9816 case (fiddle with the sould
circuitry, and you'd have to put RAM in the DIO slots). I've never tried
this, probably never will.

No idea what this BSD prot needs... Maybe it'll run on an MMU-less machine.