Max configuration of SGI Origin 2000/Onyx2 architecture

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Mon Dec 17 10:41:05 CST 2007

On 17/12/2007 15:55, Jules Richardson wrote:

> My recollection is of 5 or 6 rows of dual-height cabs in their machine
> room, about 6 per row, with a further row or two for disk storage. I
> seem to remember that a few of the cabinets were split though - an O2k
> in one half, but framebuffer hardware in the other. I'm not sure if they
> were supplied like that by SGI as one of their stock models, or whether
> it was something custom (when I worked with SGI on projects they were
> pretty good at tweaking configuration on a per-site basis).

Sounds like an ordinary (for SGI types of ordinary) Onyx2.  That has the
framebuffer hardware in the upper module, and CPUs in the lower; one
framebuffer module per machine, but up to 7 (IIRC) CPU modules in
multi-rack configurations.

> It was most impressive to see that much SGI kit in one place, anyway -
> it must have been reasonably uncommon to find such a large-scale install
> in a non-government institution.

Biggest I saw in a university was the 32-processor (4 modules, 2 racks)
we had in Computer Science.  There was a deskside (8 processor, 1
module) and a later a single rack (2 modules, 16 processors) in Music.
The one I have is a single rack with two modules (16 CPUs), but at
present I have the two modules in separate racks and running as two
separate machines.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager