CrayLink connections between Origin 2000s

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue Dec 18 03:31:42 CST 2007

On 18/12/2007 01:04, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007, at 3:18 PM, Richard wrote:
>> It seems the essential difference between an Onyx2 deskside and the
>> Origin 2000 deskside is the midplane and the board set.  Can anyone
>> confirm that?
>
>   Hmm, the only difference I was aware of was the I/O
> module...keyboard/mouse interface or not.

That's not a reliable criterion, because some Origins also have the
expanded Base I/O module with mouse, keyboard, audio and video (at
least, some rackmount ones do).

Richard is correct; the essential difference is that the midplanes and
board sets are different.  Looking from the back, an Origin deskside has
space for 4 node boards at the left, then the Base I/O module and PCI
box (if fitted) and then 12 XIO slots (for 12 half-height or 6
full-height boards) on the right.  An Onyx can have only two node
boards, then a graphics board set (3 or 4 boards depending on how much
raster memory it has), then the Base I/O unit and PCI box, which are
much further over than they are in an Origin, and 5 XIO slots (3
full-height or 5 half-height boards).

This isn't true in a rackmount system, because a rackmount Onyx2 has a
module with 4 node boards (same module as an Origin) in the bottom, and
a different graphics module with no node boards, Base I/O, or PCI, but
two sets of graphics with up to six raster memory cards in total, in the
top.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager