Shift Registers as Delay Lines (was Delay lines in TV sets)

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Tue Dec 18 13:28:02 CST 2007

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:03:34 +0000
From: Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at usap.gov>
Subject: Re: Shift Registers as Delay Lines (was Delay lines in TV
	sets)

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 06:52:59PM -0500, Allison wrote:
>> MOS shift registers of lengths greater than a few bits are very late
>> 60s (after 67 or so). By early 70s parts 1024 long ere not uncommon.

>I think I have a couple of old SAD1024 MOS shift registers from when I
>was collecting deeply discounted items from the local Radio Shack
>"Manager's Table" as a kid.

>I had thought one day to make the audio echo/delay circuit I think I
>saw in an old Forrest Mims circuit book, but a solid-state acoustic
>delay line emulator sounds like a much cooler place to put them.

>-ethan

Sounds like our shopping habits were the same in those golden days
at the 'shack ;-); I've still got a couple waiting for me to get a round tuit
(the data sheet also has the bucket brigade audio delay schematic).

As a digital delay line I guess you could even use it word-wise since it's
analog; you'd need some pretty fast DAC/ADCs though.

mike