FREE: CDC CMD948

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 17:33:00 CST 2007

> Prime used to sell these.  They were available in 32, 64 and 96 MB
> models.  The bottom section contains fixed platters.  The top section

Each data surfact stores 16Mbytes (or so).

The removeable pack has one data surface and one servo surface. There's
also a servo sufrace among the fixed platters -- the drive automatically
selects which servo head to used based on which data haed is selected.
The reason for the 2 servo surfaces is that the removeable pack may not
centre exaclty, so for repiable operation they took the positioner
reference from the fixed or removeable platters as appropriate.

A 32MB drive has one fixed platter (one data surface, one servo
surface).. So 16MB fixed, 16MB removable. A 64MB drive has 2 fixed
platters (3 data surfaces), so 48MB fixed, 16MB removeable. And finally
the 96MB one has 3 fixed platters (5 dfata surfaces), so 80MB fixed, 16MB
removable.

I do have the service manual for this drive. The thing I rememebr is that
you don't fiddle with the mechanics without reading it first, and even
then tread carefully. There are all sorts of special tools you may need.