OT sockets for Nixies

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Sat Dec 22 11:42:13 CST 2007

At 04:33 AM 12/22/2007 -0800, you wrote:
> > > Anyone know a good way to drive these, four or six
> > of them in an
> > > array? I need 170 volts, 21ma all cathodes,
> > between 4.0 and 6.0ma
> > > any individual cathode. I was thinking of a pic at
> >  each tube, sort-
> > > of a character generator that would take an ascii
> > code and drive
> > > the right segments. Some sort of escape code would
> > let you send 16
> > > bits to be interpreted literally, i.e. turn on the
> > literal segments
> > > corresponding to the bits set, for more fanciful
> > displays.
>
>To actually drive the tubes. you need something that
>can handle the volage/current. Use MPSA42 transistors
>- they're cheap, about 8 cents each. One transistor
>per cathode. Tie the anode of the tube to the power
>source of 200v or whatever. Connect each cathode to
>the collector of a MPSA42, tie the emitters all to
>ground. To drive a segment, drive the base high
>through a 33k resistor.

Great information, thanks. Someone else suggested MPSA42's and '92's as
well. The Burroughs spec sheets talk about the series anode R recommended
for each of three types of tubes; for the B-7971 they say 1.8k. Does your
suggestion eliminate the need for a anode resistor?

>-Ian

-----
294. [Internet] "The Wittenberg church door was Usenet for Luther's
community."
--Nick Arnett <nicka at mccmedia.com>
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531