Modem to modem without a line simulator

ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 02:47:11 CST 2007

> This question is bugging me from another forum.
>
> Is it possible to connect two modems (eg: Hayes 2400 to Hayes 2400)
> using a 'dead' or isolated pair of copper wire and have them be able to
> communicate?
>
> I always thought that this can not work because the line that the modems
> are connected to has to have some current.  The phone system works
> because an action on one end of the phone (talking into the carbon
> microphone) causes a reaction on the other end.  Without some sort of
> current on the line, how can this work?  Hence the need for 'line
> simulator' circuits

Most direct-connect modems do not require any power from the telephone
line -- in fact the modem circuitry is coupled to the line through an
isolating transformer, which is iteself capacitor-coupled to the line. So
the DC conditions on the line have no effect on the modem circuit

Of course such modems do 'loop the line' (provide a DC path between the 2
line wires) when off-hook. But that's to tell the telephone exchange that
the modem is indeed off-hook, not for any particular requirement of the modem

So if you can get onee modem to ignore the lack of dial tone/rigning tone,
andthe other one to answer without seeing a rining voltage on teh line,
then just connecting them together should work.

I think there have been a few -- a very few -- modems that do requeire a
DC voltage on the line for correct operation. Foe those, you can often
fake it by connecting a suitable DC supply in series with a suitable
limiting resistor between the line wires.

> Some people are claiming that it works without the line simulator.  I'd
> like to understand why.
>
> (I could get out the multimeter if things get really desperate, but
> maybe somebody can tell me that the line current thing only applies to
> acoustically connected modems, not direct connect.  Or the direct
> connect modems put enough juice on the line to make it work.  Or
> something else that might make sense.)

Telephones, of course, do draw power from the line, which means
accoustically-coupled modems need line power for the asscoicated telephone.