CDC Plato Dial-in?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Feb 2 19:28:32 CST 2007

In article <45C3CEAA.2030607 at atarimuseum.com>,
    "Curt @ Atari Museum" <curt at atarimuseum.com>  writes:

> I read a long while back that several people had gotten the Plato
> Network running again, I was looking on the Plato People site, but I
> guess they may not be the ones doing it, but someone else.
>
> I have The Learning Phone which is a software package developed by Atari
> and Control Data in late 1983 to allow Atari 8bit computers to dial into
> and connect to the Plato Network.
>
> I wanted to see if the network is back up and if they have standard
> modem dial in numbers as I'd really love to see the system working again
> on my Atari 800.

Its my understanding that the PLATO system is running on an emulator
on a PC.  No genuine terminals, no genuine hardware, just a
simulation.  While that lets you experience the software again (to be
honest, I don't know where they got the images to run on the
simulator!), there isn't any genuine hardware in the setup.  IIRC, to
connect to it you use telnet.