How to archive a 16mm film of an RCA 501

David Barnes davebarnes at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 2 19:33:13 CST 2007

Bob;

Unfortunately once a print has started with 'vinegar syndrome' , if
its BAD it usually cannot be saved, but this is a slow process and
depending upon how bad the 'curl' is it can be treated so that it can
be run through a projector and captured.

I collect 16mm films and have had to get rid of a couple prints over
the years due to vinegar syndome.  (which is basically caused by the
film base breaking down).

What you CAN do , its take the reel and give it LOTS of air (garage,
etc ) outside of its can.

David Barnes

davebarnes AT adelphia DOT net
OpenVMS  , Tru64 , Solaris , Linux , OS X , SGI Irix