Preservation of correspondence

arcarlini at iee.org arcarlini at iee.org
Tue Feb 6 18:34:43 CST 2007

Adrian Graham wrote:
> On 6/2/07 21:55, "aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk"
> <aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I remember CD caddies :)
>>
>> I recall back at secondary school in my first
>> year there (year 7 for UK'ers), in 1990/1, that
>> the new computer in the library used CD's
>> which were in see through plastic.
>> Essentially the "CD" of the time was like
>> floppy discs - the writable media (medium?)
>> was encased in protective plastic shell.
>
> Sounds like the Philips 1x speed CD that was used by DEC as the
> RRD40. It took standard CD-ROMs but they were inserted in a plastic
> shell because the drive had no tray or any other means of supporting
> the CD.
>
> My own RRD40 caddies are 250 miles away but I've got a drive at work
> :)

Mine are right here but you've saved me the bother of photographing
an example (the bit that pulls out was called the "antlers"
apparently).

I would have thought that seven years ago the RRD40 was already
a distant memory. (Its predecessor BTW was the RRD50 which was
a tabletop unit top-loading CD-ROM that was _slower_ than 1x!)

In a school in 1990 I would guess that this is just the
standard "flip-top" lid caddy that many early CD-ROM units
used. I can see ten of them over to the left; I could take
a snap of one of those too but there must be gazillions
on the net already.

Indeed here is one:
  http://www.weirdstuff.com/mas_assets/thumb/16024.jpg

and here's a diagram from SGI just to be clear about
how it works:

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi/0650/bks/SGI_EndU
ser/books/PChall_L_OG/sgi_html/ch04.html

Antonio