ISO: A good explanation of EBCDIC control seuqnces

Kevin Handy kth at srv.net
Thu Feb 8 10:52:34 CST 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Lately, I've been plowing through a bunch of EBCDIC-encoded WP
> documents.  I don't have a problem finding EBCDIC charts with
> mnemonics, but I'd like some more detail on control character
> operation.  For example, what's the difference between  IT PT and HT?
> What sequence does CSP introduce and what are its variations?
>
> I've done some web searching but can't come up with anything
> definitive.  Any pointers would be welcome.

If these are Word Processing documents, those codes are
probably special formatting codes, and not actually used
as defined in any chart. They would have been defined by
the specific Word Processing program used.

Many WP file formats use these "out-of-band" control
characters that did not have any printable form for this
purpose. WordPerfect, WordStar, DecWord, etc. all do this.