Bugs in computer hardware (real ones)

Charles charlesmorris at hughes.net
Fri Feb 9 12:30:07 CST 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:03:37 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

>On Feb 8, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Bob Rosenbloom wrote:
>> I have a dual floppy system from Computer Automation that
>> some kind of insect had made a nest in a long time ago. I'm not
>> sure how to remove the stuff. I tried water but it has no effect.
>> It's hard as concrete!

I looked at the pictures and those sure look a lot like mud dauber
wasp nests - they get into everything stored outdoors in Missouri
that has an opening big enough to admit a wasp. That mix of wasp
snot and dirt could be a replacement for structural concrete if
one could find a way to direct the placement :)

Unfortunately I don't know any magic way to get it off that won't
also destroy the electronics! I've actually had to use a hammer to
get rid of some of them, and steel-brush the remainder. Obviously
not practical in your floppy drive.

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/hymenoptera/sphecidae/sphecinae/muddaubnestfl.html

-Charles