Tek 7904 scope

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Sat Feb 17 11:05:32 CST 2007

At 04:30 PM 2/15/2007 -0800, you wrote:
>Tom Peters wrote:
>>>
>>>   Yes, that was a pretty decent deal, especially if you don't have
>>>to pay to ship it.  Assuming it's functional of course.  They've been
>>>known to go for less, especially if they're all beaten up, but if
>>>it's in good shape a 7904 can easily fetch $299.
>>
>>I went back to them and countered with $240. I won the deal and will pay
>>$240 plus fiddy-two bucks to ship it. Woohoo!

>>>   Umm...the curve tracer (7CT1N probably) came with it??  That
>>>would've been a *serious* score then.  That plugin alone typically
>>>goes for $150-300.

>>>   Yes, they're all over the place.  There are some really neat ones
>>>available for 7000-series scopes, too...Differential amplifiers,
>>>logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, the aforementioned curve tracer,
>>>all sorts of stuff.  It's a fantastic platform.
>>
>>I'm wondering if there's a list somewhere of just what plugins I can
>>drool over and/or search for. I'm not having any luck phrasing my search
>>properly so far. Like maybe a channel input amp that will give me better
>>bandwidth so I can do some VHF/UHF with it. I hear that the 7A26 is good
>>up to 200 mHz? Is that right?
>
>Yup, correct. Go to http://www.caip.rutgers.edu/~kahrs/testeq/7000.html
>for tables and pix of 7000 series stuff.

Cool! Thanks.

>The 7A29 is a single channel 1GHz plugin, 7B92A or 7B10/7B15 timebases.

Never having owned a decent scope before, please help me out a little.
Well, I do have a 60mhz Hickok that's really beat up.

If I want to get up to 500 MHz (70 cm is 400+ right?) I could try to locate
a 7A29, or maybe there's another cheeper one? That's question number 1.

2. Sounds like one definitely has to have a better timebase plugin, you
seem to be implying that, to make use of the bandwidth of the 7A29, right?
Which one, you list three. Or any of the above?

>The S4/7S11/7T11 combo is cool if you want a10+GHz sampling capability.
Yikes, I'm not sure I would know what to do with 10 GHz capability.

>I have a 7104 with 7A29s, 7B10/15 and S4/7S11/7T11 and it is pretty cool
>70s technology.
>
>Don North
>AK6DN

[Government]"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the
legislature is in session." (Judge Gideon J. Tucker, 1866.)
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531