Google on hard drive failures

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Wed Feb 21 22:26:42 CST 2007

Tim Shoppa wrote:
> Side note: at one point I found it unbelievable
> that Google was using consumer-grade hardware
> to host their stuff. Since then, I've developed a
> lot of respect for this approach!

Quantity over quality.  If you have enough money to get that off the
ground, you win in the long run.

Related note:  All throughout the early to mid 1990s, Pixar standarized
solely on SparcStation 20s for their renderfarm.  Why not a more
powerful system, or a cheaper system?  Because they claimed, due to form
factor, it was the most number of CPUs they could fit into a room.