Real Time Clock - was: Is this true?? (TI & watches)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Feb 22 14:51:24 CST 2007

On 22 Feb 2007 at 8:51, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

> So certain Sun hardware starts off with a clock, that gradually turns
> into a timer?

That's fine.  I call the mechanism a clock if it keeps time
regardless of the state of the CPU (powered on or off, running or
halted).  If it requires the processor to compute the day and date
from some externally-supplied value, it's a timer.

I seem to remember at least one of the old systems from the 1950's
had a plain old analogue clock mounted on the operator's console.
That machine had a clock, but which one it was escapes me.  Nice
touch, though.

Cheers,
Chuck