Restoring an XT - transfer problem

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Feb 24 16:31:07 CST 2007

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Lawrence Wilkinson wrote:
> I can't remember exactly how it did this, maybe it did a COPY COM1
> LL.COM and had a bootstrap that would copy over a 7-bit link.
> You could use this method to enter in a larger program, by dumping it in
> hex, converting it to a DEBUG script with lots of E commands and then
> pushing it in (assuming you have DEBUG available).

7 bit is correct.  The DOS COPY command refuses to COPY a "binary" file
from a device.  There is even an error message stating that in
COMMAND.COM.   Therefore, it is necessary that the stage of the
bootstrapping that uses COPY must be a text[able] file.  Fortunately, a
program that will "copy" from a device does not need to be very long.