I am now Annoyed [Re: Old oscilloscope help: ideas sought]

Wed Feb 28 18:13:53 CST 2007

>>> One further note - on a scale of 1-10, how authentic do you want
>>> the repaired scope to be?
>> I'm a bit Tonyish on this: I'd take unauthentic but working over
>> authentic but broken any day. :-)
> Well, I like things to work, but equally, I do try to maintain the
> original design.

I suspect I care somewhat less about that than you do.  At least in
this case.

> For example I probably wouldn't replace valve rectifiers with
> semiconductors.

I'm not sure I'd *replace* them, but I'm giving real thought to putting
in parallel power-supply circuitry that uses solid-state rectifiers and
feeds the B+ and HV power lines.  But that depends on the correctness
of my guess that removing the rectifier tubes will be enough to isolate
the B+ and HV power so I can feed them externally.

> I owuld consider re-winding the transformer (not original) or useing
> serveral separate transformers to replace it (even less original, but
> at least the design is basically unchagned).

Yeah.  Put it this way: if I were to somehow get an exact replacement
transformer, I'd like to be able to do a little unsoldering and
resoldering and have it in basically original condition.  But this is
not inconsistent with using solid-state rectifiers, if my guess about
the rectifier tubes is correct.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca