Archiving workstation hard drives

Ray Arachelian ray at arachelian.com
Wed Jan 3 21:48:49 CST 2007

Yup!

Even nicer, if you have ssh setup (or rsh, yuck) you can actually dump
it to another machine:
dd if=/dev/whatever | bzip -9 | ssh otherhost "dd
of=/bigdrive/mydisk.dd.bz2"

I'm not sure that slice2 on a sun machine will include the boot sector,
but it will include the partition table, so you'll want to get details
for whatever system you're running.  I'm not sure that you'll want to
use the raw device name there however.

Another choice would be ufsdump or whatever it's called on your system
(possibly fsdump or just dump.)