Apple Disk ][ X-Ray

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Jan 5 00:11:22 CST 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 12:05, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > He's aparently not as crazy as I am to have some x-ray gear at home
> > (then again, I've never used it partly because I don't know enough
> > about
> > dosages to determine what's safe, and how much to use to expose film
> > properly, etc).
>
>    What type of equipment do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry, replying slipped my mind.

I've got some old lab X-ray gear (well, just the transformer tubes, and
tube housings to direct the beam) from uni surplus.  At one point, I had
of pair of 240V in, 60kV peak output transformers, which I wired
out-of-phase to make a 120kV spark between them (they're big, and
oil-filled).  They produced a pretty nifty effect, until one of the
transformers developed an open winding... (I had to use one of the
lower-power input taps on the transformers, to use them both on a single
30A 240V circuit.)  I guess that they're designed for pulsed use, and
the x-ray tubes draw less power than a straight arc does. :)

I've also got two (I think... might be one) rackmount 60kVDC power
supplies to drive x-ray tubes, in x-ray scanning equipemnt (shove a
sample in, and it scans the sample with x-rays, somehow).  Due to Purdue
policies, X-ray equipment is normally "disabled" (wires cut at least,
now they usually pull out boards), so it's harder to get intact
equipment.   But, they generally leave the power supply intact, and the
x-ray tube is still usable if you solder on some extensions to the wires
they cut off.

I got a bigger x-ray transformer box (the tube was shattered from
moving), but even with the oil out, it was way too heavy to move around,
so I ended giving that back.

They also had some Ion Implater units, which I was hoping to snag one of,
and had planned to snag one, with a 200 - 500kVDC output (Can't remember
for sure anymore) and a beefy 3phase input with some nice controls on it
for voltage/current adjust.  They looked like they were practically new
Varian units, donated by Intel, but they weren't what the Donatee
expected to get, so they got sent out.

At about 3000lbs for each, I had no way to move them, and they ended up
getting scrapped instead. :/

The next time I see a >200kVDC power supply, I'm gonna have to try to get
it.  Imagine the size of the jacob's ladder you could make with that. ;)

Pat