My second Mac

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Jan 6 17:33:35 CST 2007

At 1:21 PM -0800 1/6/07, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>On 6 Jan 2007 at 12:26, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>  That's probably about the model before my G4/450 AGP.  If so a Zip
>>  drive could have been standard.  Does it have a faceplate that
>>  matches the rest of the system?
>
>Yup--and the little tag on the back mentions the Zip drive, now that
>I have my near-see glasses on.  This one also has 1MB cache and some
>sort of AV card in it.

Sounds like this might have been the follow-on to the 8500/8600
models then.  Somehow when I'd read your first post I'd read Beige as
Blue and White, so your system is actually quite a bit older than I
thought.

>I understand that low-profile 256MB SIMMs can be installed, but that
>they need to be a special type, not the usual PC133 type.  Is this
>true--and any guidelines to make sure that I'm picking up the right
>flavor?

Depends on how old the system is, as to how picky it is.  I'd
recommend checking out one of the old Mac HW sites.

>I found a version of Mozilla 1.3.1 that runs on it at
>http://www.wamcom.org.  It seems to be adequate for casual browsing.

Nice.

>I've used fixed-frequency WS monitors on PCs since the first 19"
>Daisy that I obtained, around 1988.  It's only lately that I've begun
>using LCD monitors. I was concerned that there might be something
>REALLY funny about Mac video.

As this isn't as new of a system as I was thinking, as a result it
might be a bit more difficult than I'd indicated.  As Cameron
indicates you'll likely need a Mac-VGA converter, they used to be
real easy to find as a lot of monitors shipped with them.

>I guess Linux is the next step.  Any favorite flavors?

No clue here, I won't waste Mac Hardware on Linux (just like I won't
run Unix on VAXen or Alpha's).  You might look at Yellow-Dog, IIRC,
it's a distro for Mac's.

		Zane