My Second Mac

Teo Zenios teoz at neo.rr.com
Sun Jan 7 17:49:22 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sridhar Ayengar" <ploopster at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: My Second Mac

> Earlier revisions of ColdFire weren't compatible with older 68K.  The
> latest revisions are now compatible enough to work as replacements for
> the 68060.  If memory serves, the ColdFire chips that work for replacing
> an '060 are latest two revisions.
>
> I've seen a ColdFire upgrade board for the Amiga 4000.  It's blazing fast.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

The 68060 was quite a bit different then the 680x0 that were released before
it (they started taking things out of the hardware at that point). A 68060
will not boot Mac OS (even with the voltage adapter board used in 040 to 060
conversions for the Amiga) and from what I recall needed emulation done in
software to work correctly on the Amiga as well.