Sun plastics

Tony Duell ard at
Tue Jan 9 13:24:47 CST 2007

> I've used a product called plastic epoxy which includes a solvent to eat 
> into the items being bonded for a better bond. I've had the best luck 
> placing a small piece of metal (paperclip) across the break and spreading 
> an 1/8" thick layer over that.

For plastics that it will disolve (if you see what I mean), I've had 
great success using a liquid called 'Plastic Weld' available from good 
model shops. It's basically dicholoromethane (methylene chloride).

What you do is put the plastic parts together and run a brush dipped in 
the solvent along the crack. For a stronger join, I cut a piece of cotton 
frabric to fit over the hack of the repair, put it in place and 'paint' 
it with the solvent. Then push the cotton into the softened plastic.


More information about the cctech mailing list