Sun plastics

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 13:24:47 CST 2007

> I've used a product called plastic epoxy which includes a solvent to eat
> into the items being bonded for a better bond. I've had the best luck
> placing a small piece of metal (paperclip) across the break and spreading
> an 1/8" thick layer over that.

For plastics that it will disolve (if you see what I mean), I've had
great success using a liquid called 'Plastic Weld' available from good
model shops. It's basically dicholoromethane (methylene chloride).

What you do is put the plastic parts together and run a brush dipped in
the solvent along the crack. For a stronger join, I cut a piece of cotton
frabric to fit over the hack of the repair, put it in place and 'paint'
it with the solvent. Then push the cotton into the softened plastic.