DEC beige/creame/white paint

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 11 23:55:22 CST 2007

Robert Ollerton wrote:

> On 1/11/07, William Donzelli <wdonzelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > AFAIK, most wrinkle finish work involves baking.  Here's an old ARRL
> > > "Hints and Kinks" item on the subject:
> >
> > Yes, but the texture of the wrinkle varies greatly with the baking and
> > paint formulation.
>
> Aircraft grade, spray it on thick, two coats and hope it wrinkles right.  if
> not, take it off and do it again.  I have never acheived the same facrory
> finish that you see on items from 50+ years ago.

The trick I was advised of with wrinkle paint was to 'force it' with it a
hot-air gun. I have actually had good success using aerosol-can wrinkle paint
from an auto-supply store and an old hair blow-dryer. Some patience required,
but you can actually control the depth of the wrinkle with the hot air
application. The result is a vast difference from just leaving the wrinkle
paint to dry on it's own.

This was on an aluminum chassis with an aerosol-can flat lacquer first coat.
The aluminum was sanded (emery cloth and/or garnet) and washed with TSP and a
long hot rinse before painting. (Criticism welcome if some fault is to be
found in this process.)