VAXstation 3100/76 configured as VAXserver and NetBSD

Seth J. Morabito sethm at loomcom.com
Tue Jan 16 15:10:50 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 09:49:27AM +0000, Adrian Burgess wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 01:12:11AM -0000, arcarlini at iee.org wrote:
> >
> > The wiring inside the VAXstation 3100-76 may well be "non-standard",
> > but the external connector works perfectly well with any SCSI
> > cable which physically connects.
>
> I'm a bit confused. I've got an M76 which I'd love to install a later
> version of VMS on (it's currently on 5.5), but everything I've read has said
> that the external SCSI connector is DEC-specific and needs a DEC BC09J cable
> to attach normal SCSI devices to (a cable which I've not yet found at a
> reasonable price). Is this not the case?

The 68-pin connector on these is NOT standard, and definitely NOT
SCSI-III.

You can use either a BC09J-xx or a BC56H-xx cable. The -xx at the end
specifies the cable length (i.e. -03 for three foot, -06 for six foot,
-10 for ten foot, etc.) The BC09J has an angled 50 pin connector on one
end, and the straight 68-pin female connector on the other.  The BC56H
has a straight 50 pin connector on one end, and a straight 68-pin female
connector on the other. Only DEC made these cables as far as I'm aware.
I have five of them, and I hoard them jealously, like some sort of
bejeweled sacred hoardable thing.

(OK, well maybe they're not THAT rare.  You can get them on eBay
frequently for around $15 to $20.)

-Seth