Jules Richardson wrote on "Digital Archaeology of the Microcomputer, 1974-1994

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jan 18 02:46:44 CST 2007

On 18 Jan 2007 at 2:55, Teo Zenios wrote:

> We have a never ending cycle of  "today's PC are not interesting enough to
> preserve" so nobody bothers, which is what the people who made your favorite
> machine thought at the time. I guarantee you people down the road will be
> interested in everything people today might stick their nose up at now and
> did not bother to archive.

There will still be plenty of the things around.  One thing that just
about guarantees this is the sheer numbers of them sold.   So they'll
go into basements, attics and barns and forgotten about.

Civil War-era brass musical instruments still turn up from time to
time--found hanging in a barn, or an attic or serviing as a table
lamp.  That's after two World Wars and a bunch of smaller ones with
scrap brass collection drives.

I imagine down the road a couple of decades, we won't have the
general-purpose desktop computer in any recognizable form.  Computers
will largely be embedded in everything--including people's heads.

Cheers,
Chuck