Archiving workstation hard drives

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 21:03:07 CST 2007

On 1/19/07, Brad Parker <brad at heeltoe.com> wrote:
> >How about Solaris/SunOS?
>
> never tried that.  interesting - is solaris (or sunos) more tolerant?

Never tried it with Solaris, but Sun used to ship SCSI drives based on
ESDI bridges, etc., that I doubt supported the SCSI IDENT packet.  I
have a couple of these old disk boxes around, but I have yet to try to
use one - I'd rather wrestle with the OS than some cantankerous disks
when I can find embedded SCSI drives from a similar era (I still have
a few 200MB Maxtors, for example).

SunOS, unlike Linux, isn't as particular about certain details (like
the whole IDENT requirement).  It's not that Linux _couldn't_ support,
say, an ACB4000 w/MFM drives, but AFAIK, it never has., even back in
the old days (I started with 0.97 with an embedded SCSI drive).

-ethan