Archiving workstation hard drives

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 19 13:20:49 CST 2007

Al Kossow wrote:
> while 512 byte block scsi or ide interfaced mass storage devices now
> seem like the only things that ever existed, before the mid 80's there
> was no real block-level hard disc standard across manufacturers.

Actually, I've never needed to try this - but is it reasonable to expect a
"modern" system to be able to archive (using dd) a SCSI drive that's been
formatted to something other than a 512 byte block size?

There were a few systems about that used SCSI drives formatted to 256 byte
block sizes, and I expect that 1024 byte blocks aren't unheard of either.
(plus there are many more systems with ST506/412 drives and SCSI bridge boards
that present something other than 512 byte blocks to the user)

I suppose dd should still cope OK - but the question's maybe one of whether
the underlying SCSI drivers will cope...

cheers

Jules