Archiving workstation hard drives

Fri Jan 19 15:03:08 CST 2007

> Actually, I've never needed to try this - but is it reasonable to
> expect a "modern" system to be able to archive (using dd) a SCSI
> drive that's been formatted to something other than a 512 byte block
> size?

Depends on the system. :)  Last tiem I looked, NetBSD, at least,
couldn't do anything sensible with a SCSI disk with other than 512-byte
blocks.  That was quite a while ago, but I haven't heard anything on
the lists to make me think the status has changed.

I have a big/small (full-height 5¼", but holding probably no more than
about 1G) drive formatted with 1K sectors, and a SCSI floppy drive that
uses 256-byte sectors, which I keep specifically as examples of
non-512-byte disks.  I think the former came from a NeXT, but don't
recall definitely enough to be sure; the latter I forget the source of.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca