Archiving workstation hard drives

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 17:11:11 CST 2007

[...]

> What I'd really like I suppose is a user-space driver for a widget that
> provided SCSI and SASI support via a *totally* dumb HBA (i.e. polled I/O and
> twiddling of bus lines "directly") - in other words, one step less intelligent
> still than most "dumb" HBAs (which still use some sort of SCSI IC). It'd be
> slow as molasses, but speed isn't the critical factor compared to flexibility
> and ease of driving.

The lack of a decent 'user port' on PCs is a major pain for hardware
hackers like me :-). Peronally, I'd probably use something like an
HP9000/200 series machine (neat, repairable, and has an exceellent 16 bit
parallel I/O card availalbe), but that's hardly a universal solution.

> Unfortunately a PC parallel port doesn't quite have enough I/O lines, I

Could yuo not add some latches/buffers to tha parallel port to get more
I/O lines, and use a couple of the 'handshake' outputs to select between
them?