Sun graphics options (was: Strange things found in a free SPARC 20)

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Mon Jan 22 19:53:40 CST 2007

In article <6e04c1f3cab1722f9f95f11dd2ffd9d8 at valleyimplants.com>,
    Scott Quinn <compoobah at valleyimplants.com>  writes:

> There was, I believe, something that could be paired with a CG9 in the
> Sun-3/early Sun-4 days. Ah yes, here it is: the GP2 graphics processor.
> VME based, with Weitek engines.

I think I have one of these GP2 things... its a separate pedestal
enclosure with a VME card that goes into the main Sun box.  It was
reportedly a dog.  I have the pedestal and guts but not the interface
card.  I would love an interface card, if someone has one :-).

> Then there was the Leo/ZX option for SBUS.

I seem to remember the "Leo" being talked about while I was at E&S.

> Can't tell you anything about performance of either of these two.

The GP2 reportedly sucked, compared to competitors at the time :-).

> Can't say anything about the really off-topic stuff for the current
> machines.

The stuff I'm remembering is from the 1990-1995 period, so it would be
"apopros" vis-a-vis the 10 year rule, which isn't a rule, really more
a rule of thumb or a guideline, well not really a guideline, more like
a hint, well not really a hint, but whatever Jay says it is...