PDP-11/70 in Yates Center, KS

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jan 31 00:04:37 CST 2007

At 11:33 PM -0600 1/30/07, Doc Shipley wrote:
>Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>I'd personally consider the SGI o2, Octane, Tezro and *maybe* the Fuel, as
>>well as the original Apple G4 towers (the G3's of that design scream LOOK AT
>>ME, but the G4 is more subdued), G4 cube, and the original iMac and iBook
>>designs to all be very stylish and "art".  The NeXT systems would be a close
>>contender.  While stylish, and very well designed, I doubt I'd put the G5
>>and Xeon Mac towers in this classification.
>
>   Ahem.  When I got my G5 I pulled the side panel to make sure
>nothing shook loose in shipping.  It took me the better part of an
>hour to stop ooohing and aaahhing.
>
>   Under the hood of a 1963 Mercedes Benz was the only thing I've
>ever seen that came remotely close.  Totally gratuitous engineering.

The only computer I have whose insides are anywhere close to being as
nice as that of a G5 tower just might be my PDP-11/73 in a BA123
Chassis.  I love the BA123, but when it comes to cables, the current
Mac towers beat it hands down.  What computer other than a modern Mac
tower fits together so perfectly (I've not been in the water cooled
G5 or the Xeon towers, and they might not be quite so perfect).

		Zane