Tandon TM 502

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Jul 3 11:44:33 CDT 2007

On 3 Jul 2007 at 11:00, Ade wrote:

> I recently picked up an old Act Sirius 1 machine (I've been looking for one for
> years), which has a Tandon TM 502 harddisk in it. Unfortunately, the HDD
> doesn't seem to work :(
>
> It spins up, by the sounds of it, but is not talking to the computer. There's
> no head noises of any description.>

Fortunately, the old drives use pretty ordinary componentry, so
troubleshooting and repair of the electronics board is pretty easy,
but if the HDA itself has problems, you have a tough job ahead of
you.

In my experience, the TM502 was an unreliable drive.  One of the
local parts dealers was using them as doorstops.  When I asked about
them, he said that he'd sell me his entire stock for $5.  No--not $5
apiece, but $5 for the entire lot--but I had to take the entire lot.
These were supposedly working pulls.

I came home with about 20 of the things and was so underwhelmed by
the reliability of the ones I managed to get working that I scrapped
the entire bunch.  Life's too short and I felt that I was cheated out
of $5.

There are better 10MB MFM drives if you can find them.  There's
nothing magic, IIRC, about the TM502.  I still have old Rodimes and
CMIs and Seagates, but no Tandons.

Cheers,
Chuck