PERQness...

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:26:12 CDT 2007

>From: Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk>
---snip---

>   1) The hard disk (Shugart SA4008) drive belt seems to have a habit of
>running 1mm or so out of line at startup, resulting in it rubbing against
>the chassis beneath the spindle pulley. Once it picks up speed it sorts
>itself out, but I was wondering whether there's any adjustment in either
>the spindle pulley or drive motor in order to get it to run a little
>better?

Hi
This is an indication that the belt is slipping. Three things. Either
the belt is loose, it has dust on it or the belt has taken a set
from the crown.
You should try cleaning first. If the drive doesn't retract the
heads, be vary careful to not rotate the disk pull backwards.
If you do, it will trash the disk if the head is on the disk.
The motor is usually on a slotted mount to adjust tension.
The belt can be flipped over if it shows too much deforming
from the crowned pulley.
Dwight