The late, great TRS-80 - hey, they wrote a book!

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Jul 8 17:05:35 CDT 2007

> I cannot believe that after two weeks and about 40 messages, no one
> actually responded to Theresa's actual message. Instead, from the first
> "reply" you all were off arguing inane stuff like whether English
> measure units are better than something else. You idiots! </flame>
> If you doubt that the TRS-80 Model 1 was, as Theresa claimed in her
> original message, the "first off-the-shelf home computer", then I
> respectfully suggest that you READ THE BOOK!

Excuse me, but the TRS-80 isn't even close.  If you want a "ready to
go, nothing else needed computer with video display", then the IBM
5100 certainly fills the bill.

As far as "home computer", how about the Honeywell H316?  1969, shown
as a "Kitchen Computer", though I don't know if a single one was ever
sold.

Or maybe the Viacon (sp?), more of a tape data retrieval system from
the 1960's, but firmly aimed at the home market.

Very very few ideas erupt suddenly from nothing.  Most of our
progress is incremental and evolutionary.

Cheers,
Chuck