newbie building a scratch-built computer

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:31:39 CDT 2007

On 7/30/07, Joe Giliberti <starbase89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ethan. I do have a good soldering iron, a non variable Weller that my
> father got in the trash at AT&T about 20 years ago. Still works very well,
> although it could use a new tip.

Well done, then.  Spend a few bucks on a new tip or two.  For SMT
work, I like at least a 1/32" tip, but for QFPs, you can do well with
a blunter tip, lots of flux, and a "raking" motion to flow solder over
all the pins on a side at once.  Fine tips are nice for 1206 and 805
parts.

> I just finished recently soldering
> connectors onto a board for an old pinball machine I have, which now works
> very well. I have also built two kits from Ramsey, an electrocardiogram
> machine and a color organ. My soldering skill is pretty good I think.

You sound well prepared, then.

> I'm leaning more towards the KIM at this point, mainly because of all the
> documentation, as well as the expandability. I'd like to have something that
> I can eventually program on a CRT and keyboard.

I think the MicroKIM is an excellent choice, but I wanted to suggest a
few others, since I didn't know your background or preferences.

Best of luck with your efforts,

-ethan