New pcb design for S-100 prototype board available

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jun 3 17:51:46 CDT 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> If you are doing a design with on-board regulators in the 21st
>> century, why not use integrated switching rather than linear
>> regulators?
>>
>> Heat dissipation will be MUCH lower if you do this.
>
> Al, I confess to not having a good handle on this matter of what's
> "vintage" and what's not.  I was looking at 78xx linear regulators as
> being "authentic".

   There's nothing "authentic" or even remotely elegant about 78xx
regulators in my opinion.  They're a current product, have been for
decades, and probably will be for another two decades.

>   I mean, why bother with S-100 at all?  There are
> plenty of better busses now, right?

   "Better" is subjective...Better for what application?  If you're
designing a small system for, say, industrial automation, do you
really want the expense and extreme complexity of something like PCI
or VME?  Having done PCI interfacing with an FPGA, I can say that
getting something working on an S-100 bus involves a whole lot less
hair pulling.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire