Terminals with DCE (Was: Anyone know anything about old TEC Terminals?)

Rick Bensene rickb at bensene.com
Mon Jun 4 15:18:41 CDT 2007

 > Tony Duell wrote:
> > ways, but I've never seen a terminal that wasn't a DTE (or for that
> > matter a modem that wasn't a DCE)
>
> Well if you are wiring up your new TERMINAL and you have the
> standard in front of you with a page that says data TERMINAL
> equipment then you'd have to be pretty bloody minded to be
> different :-)
>
> You'd also have interoperability issues (as you would with
> modems, no?)
>
> Having said that, someone must have done it just to be contrary :-)

I have run across a number of terminals that had DCE wiring on their
DB-25 RS-232 connectors.
IIRC there was an early Ann Arbor terminal that was wired this way.  I
also recall a NEC-made terminal that also had this weird wiring.
Lastly, there was a very strang little terminal that used a dot-matrix
LED display (1 line by 80 characters) that was "portable" and ran off of
a rechargeable battery pack (not for long) that was also wired this way.
It did have a built in modem, so you could just plug a phone line into
it (110 or 300 baud), but if you wanted to use it "hard wired" to a
computer, you had to use a null modem and some gender benders.

With regard to the TEC terminal, I still haven't gotten around to
posting photos yet.  Will do so soon.

Rick Bensene
The Old Calculator Web Museum
http://oldcalculatormuseum.com