TESTFDC usage

Dave Dunfield dave06a at dunfield.com
Wed Jun 6 14:25:18 CDT 2007

>> > I would recommend testing the drives on a known good system first.
> > Unless you know the drives are good, you can't trust the TESTFDC
> > results (A failure could be indicative of a bad drive, not a FDC
> > limitation).
>
> What's "good enough" testing? As a minimum I'll boot DOS,
> format a floppy with the drive and put DOS onto the floppy, then
> boot the floppy. Is that enough or are there oddball quirks that
> might be better exposed by something else?

If you don't use/trust the drives on a regular basis, then this is likely
the best you will be able to do - I would at least format, copy on a file
big enough to nearly fill the drive and then copy it back off and confirm
that all operations worked OK - this will be sure to check the inner tracks
which is where TESTFDC does it's thing.

Ideally, you would use known good/working drives. In my case, I have all
of the available drive types as externally attachable drives, and I use
them all frequently - knowing that I can trust the drives gives me confidence
in the TESTFDC results when I check out a new mainboard.

Dave

--
dave06a (at)    Dave Dunfield
                http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/index.html