Floppy Disc Capacities [was Pictures of My Machine Room (So Far)]

Wayne Smith wayne.smith at charter.net
Mon Jun 18 23:36:04 CDT 2007

> Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:50:43 -0400
> From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Pictures of My Machine Room (So Far)
> To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
> 	<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
> Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 June 2007 17:26, Fred Cisin wrote:
> >> Oh, well.  I guess that it is like selling disks based on their
> >> unformatted capacity - a 2.8M ED disk is called "2.88" by IBM, and
> >> was called "4 meg" by NeXT.
> >
> > I have some boxes that had "1.44s" in them branded IBM and
> which were
> > labeled "2.0MB"...
>
> Indeed.  All of the IBM 2.88's I have are labeled 4.0MB.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

My first iteration of Windows 95 was on 3.5 inch floppy diskettes.  At
some point, I wanted to make a backup copy on diskettes but couldn't
because the file sizes of the Windows distribution floppies was
1.8-1.9MB each.  At the time I thought it was some sort of copy
protection.  I assume they must have been able to format the discs for a
higher capacity - close to 2MB.

Does anyone know how?